Valorant just got patched and oh boy is it interesting. At the top you’ll find the raw changes in Valorant Patch 1.14, and then below it is broken down for those of you who want a lil’ more. That being said, let’s go through everything in the newest Valorant Patch 1.14.
🤔 Is Sage back in the meta again?
Although many consider her outside of the top characters because of the constant nerfs that Riot has been doling out to her, this Valorant Patch 1.14 update may have buffed her up to make that list. On release, they decided that one character should in fact have the ability to do everything, so they gave her a slowing field, the ability to make a giant ice wall, and allowed her to revive someone through her ult. While each individual ability may seem nothing to look at, all together make for a crazy powerful op. All that utility she has led to Riot chain-nerfing her until she wasn’t really strong enough to compete with the other buff characters.
That being said, many other characters like Viper also have crazy strong abilities. This could be due to Riot’s past history in League of Legends of making everyone overpowered under the right circumstances, but who’s to say.
- Barrier Orb can’t be cast in the Buy Phase.
- Once fortified, her barrier doesn’t lose HP slowly over time, but very quickly towards the end of its deployment.
❄ Map Changes
On Icebox Riot added a ramp to a platform near the A Belt area, connecting two previously different platforms.
Added an indestructible slotted gate on the ground in the same area.
Moved some boxes around (mostly not noticeable).
⛄ Game Mode Changes
Snowball Fight Mode
Added a snowball fight game mode with unique weapons, powerups (quick fire, larger snowball, ricocheting snowballs, quicker movement and higher jumps), and maps in Valorant Patch 1.14.
⚔ Competitive Changes
- Rank distribution changed (now you Irons will have an easier time getting out).
- Enabled your rank badge on your character card (again).
- Match History has been divided into Act Ranks and Match History.
🔫 Store Changes
- New Night Market (Dec. 10th) where you get 6 chances to receive a random skin at a discount.
- Changed requirements for access to ranked play from 20 Unrated games to winning 10 Unrated games.
- Added a text field to the report screen so you can type out more details.
- Friends can be added in-game through the escape menu.
Game System Changes
- Added cinematic and projectile following cameras for observers, along with a minimal HUD option. Further, if there are multiple observers in one game, you can choose to follow another observer’s actions instead of moving on your own. Lastly, observers can press numbers to jump to players’ viewpoints.
- Manual game state recovery for tournament organizers incase they need to replay a round etc.
Assorted Bug Fixes
- No more Killjoy turret under the map.
- No more Omen teleporting past the Buy Phase barrier.
- No more typing accidentally activating push-to-talk.
- No more AFK queue endlessly resetting.
And that’s the end of the notes from Valorant Patch 1.14. Below are thoughts on the new changes.
Map Changes, Store Changes, Game System Changes & Game Mode Changes
Riot has a history of being fairly upfront with elo changes, League of Legends just reporting a number to you every time you win or lose, so expect them to continue to move towards that style of elo system. It’s a good sign they are making it easier to rank up though, given that players who feel stuck or trapped in a rank which is too low for their skill will simply quit as opposed to trying to win against a system stacked against them.
These changes are actually pretty cool. AFKers really take the fun out of the games they’re apart of, so having an incentive not just to be around for 20 games but actually compete and win 10 games is awesome. Further, if you can’t string together 10 total wins, then you definitely aren’t ready for competitive yet, which just helps players who need a little more practice have the time and motivation to do so.
Not having the ability to friend players like this before 1.14 is fairly appalling, though better late than never.
There will be more bugs in Valorant Patch 1.14 , but the four they fixed won’t be a part of them.
Here’re some thoughts about how to bring Sage back to the competitive scene. Check it out, it’s interesting!